Canada Summer Jobs Employment Opportunity
The Production Assistant is a training position for someone with a passion for the performing arts, and who has some experience with theatre / event production. Extensive training and support will be available, including from the Managing Director and Production Manager, as well as board members, and the Artistic Director. In 2021, our summer programming will necessarily adapt to COVID-19 Public Health Guidelines.
- Assist the Production Manager in communication, logistical, and administrative tasks related to the delivery of Opera Kelowna’s performances and events.
- Liaise with partners and artists regarding scheduling, logistics, safety and other aspects of performances and events in both written and verbal forms. Some public speaking opportunities may be available at community events, based on Assistant’s comfort and experience.
- Assist with performance and production activities, including outdoor events. Confirm that Opera Kelowna COVID-19 safety is being maintained for all Opera Kelowna patrons and performers by posting signage, verbal reminders etc; liaising with venues to confirm COVID-safety protocols are up to date and in alignment.
- Create, label and file archival video and photographs of public events; ensure any necessary filing related to performances (use of email, Gdrive, and other software) is appropriately completed and filed in a virtual office system.
- After training with Production Manager, be available to help as needed with A/V teams regarding amplification and technical needs for outdoor public events.
- This position requires punctuality and on-time arrival at all rehearsals, performances and events. Mileage can be reimbursed if the Assistant uses their own vehicle.
- Office tasks can be done on a flexible schedule, other than a fixed daily meeting with the Managing Director or Production Manager. Rehearsal, programming and performance tasks will be laid out at the beginning of the appointment. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including knowledge of social media platforms (facebook, twitter, instagram)
- An affinity for the performing arts – direct experience is an asset
- Strong teamwork skills
- This is a thirteen week placement beginning on June 1, 2021
- $18 / hour
- anticipated work week: 20 hours / week (flexible hours, some evening and weekend work expected
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and list of references in one PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00 pm on May 15, 2021.
For questions regarding this position, please email Brianna Wells, Managing Director.
Opera Kelowna is committed to equity in its policies, practices, and programs, supports diversity in its performing, learning, and work environments, and ensures that applications for members of underrepresented groups are seriously considered. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our company community are encouraged to apply.